Restore 10% of your crop fields to diverse, native prairie.
Benefits of Prairie Strips
Reduce soil erosion
- Prevent 95% of soil from leaving fields*
- Less costly alternative to terraces
Improve water quality
- Reduce nitrogen running off of your field by 70% in surface runoff and 72% in groundwater*
- Cut phosphorus losses in surface runoff by 77%*
Provide forage and habitat for wildlife
- Wildflowers and grasses feed and shelter native wildlife
- Support 2.1 – 3.5x more pollinators and birds, in both species richness and abundance**
Prudenterra can help you implement each step in the process
- Design and layout
- Seeding and seed mix selection
- Prescribed burning, mowing, and spraying
- Access financial assistance
- Design and Layout of Prairie Strips
- Prairie Seeding and Establishment
- How Prairie Pays
- Reconstruct Prairie with Prudenterra
- Iowa State University Research
*In STRIPS watersheds, compared to all-crop watersheds. Data source.
Reviewed by the STRIPS science team at Iowa State University for science/economic content related to prairie strips on April 3rd, 2018.